I’ve lived in Boulder Colorado since August 2005, and moved here to write about something I know while I live in the Rockies at the same time. The town I grew up in, Potsdam NY, gave the name to a special red sandstone called Potsdam Sandstone, which was first quarried in Potsdam. And after the sandstone, an entire geologic layer of the Earth is named The Potsdam Layer. Here in Boulder the character of the town is marked by its sandstone buildings, which are lighter red than Potsdam sandstone, and softer. There are scattered in isolated spots some buildings, mostly churches, that have a few pieces for color of the deep red Potsdam sandstone.

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Lately I've been walking from my apartment early in the mornings into the downtown area to Saxy's Coffeehouse at 10th and Tom's Way in Boulder. The sandstone I walk past is light brown and must break off in layers. That way it is used it gives a layering effect.

It is rare in Boulder for the buildings to use a red sandstone. There is red sandstone in the rocks that are in the soil here, and I don't know why they were not quarried and used in building much.

I've learned that the red sandstone here is in the Pennsylvanian Formation, and is called The Fountain Formation, and contains a lot of feldspar.

No comments: